Saturday, December 10, 2011

catch-up and God-talk

I haven't had much time to write, and haven't been able to think of much to write about.

Finals week begins Monday.  I only have one test, but six papers to write this week.  None are terribly long, but it's a little overwhelming.  I did finish a short story this evening, with Joshua's help to get the male perspective accurate.  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

This week has been fairly typical otherwise.  Last week of classes.  I feel perpetually sleep-deprived.  That's partly my own fault, though.  Last night there was a formal dance and we went with Ruth and Joe, and then went to IHOP for a midnight pancake run.  I've never been to IHOP at all and certainly not at such an hour!  But it was fun, and delicious.  We didn't get home till 2:30, however, so this morning was slow and lazy.  But it was nice. :)

Today I also got laundry and grocery shopping done.  It's nice to have clean clothes and a full fridge!

The story I wrote is based on the experiences Joshua and I had over Thanksgiving break: broken-down car, both of us upset, tow truck ride, all that.  My English professor had an incredible insight when she read the story.  I wrote about how the young couple in the story (basically us) had to put the car in neutral, and let the tow truck driver take control of the car to get it on the truck and driven to the repair shop.  The couple had to let go of the wheel entirely and trust their car to someone else.  They had to let him take the wheel and just go along with the ride.

I'm surprised I didn't see the spiritual application of this story myself, but I'm sure glad my teacher did.  We have to let God take control.  We have to get in the passenger seat, let go of our lives, and let him take us where we need to go, where we'll be safe.  Considering that the story is based on real life...it was very emotional for me.  It's like God was talking to me, but it took nearly two weeks for me to hear the message, and then I had to be told by someone else what it was.

I hear you, Lord.  Let you take over.  Trust you.  Don't worry.  Don't fret.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.  Life is so much easier when I don't have to focus on the particulars of the trip--when I don't see what's ahead in the road.  Because you, God, can see, and you'll get me through everything safely.

4 comments:

  1. When one of your posts pops up, it's always such a blessing. Well, time to call the tow truck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good message to read heading into finals week Jaimie! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a trip planned soon and I am really nervous about getting on the plane. I'm hoping God will be flying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa--I need to remember that one. When in trouble/doubt/worry, call the tow truck. :)

    Maryrose-of course, dear!

    Tricia--he will have that plane in his hands and you in his arms. Nothing to worry about. Pray, praise and give thanks--prayer is the antidote to worry, the source of peace!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!