Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Yes. This is what I want for my life.

The other day I was doing dishes and I had a sudden thought:

I wish I could do this--cooking, cleaning, homemaking--all the time.  I'd be perfectly happy doing nothing more than being a wife and homemaker, and someday a mother, for the rest of my life.


I really meant that!  I have no higher ambition, but at the same time, it's quite a high ambition.  I mean, think about it:
Wife=24/7/365 job.
Mother=24/7/365 job.
Homemaker=24/7/365 job.
That adds up to more than a 40-hour workweek!

And the benefits of each job are eternal.  I am serving God in all three vocations (or I will be, anyway, when I become a mother.  And I'm starting to get the mommy bug.  I know, I know, not till after graduation...but I can still hardly wait. ;) ).  In each vocation I'm having a spiritual, eternal impact on someone: husband, children, friends and family.

Through blessing my husband and supporting him I'll be blessing and supporting others, as he serves God in his future vocation of teacher.  In raising our future children to love, honor, serve and believe in God, I will have been an instrument in leading more people to salvation and eternal life in heaven--and they in turn will (prayerfully) do the same for their spouses and children.  In creating a home where my family feels at peace and where others feel welcome, I will create a place where, by God's grace, the Holy Spirit will dwell and where we can share the love of God with everyone who comes through our door.

If that's not a job with lasting benefits, I don't know what is.

What's more, I'm thrilled at the thought of carrying out these vocations in my life.  As it is right now, I wish I had time to be at home more, cooking and cleaning and organizing.  Sometimes I get quite frustrated when work, classes, and homework take time away from what I want to be doing at home.  Of course, at this particular time in my life, 'student' and 'employee' are two of my God-given vocations and I do try to do my best at them in order to honor him.  (Sometimes I don't try as well as I could with school, but hey, I have priorities!)

I do want to become a writer, too, lest anyone question my reasoning for being in college right now!  I know that I can serve God with the education that I'm getting, and I hope to use the talents he's given me to be a blessing to others someday.

I know that this is part of God's plan for my life.  I know, also, that he has things in mind for me that I can't even begin to imagine, and that what I wants isn't necessarily always what he wants!!  He knows what's best for me, though, and I know he will work out things for good in my life.

It's just so encouraging and exciting to be so happy about my future, and to know what I want to do with it.  I know to some people it doesn't seem like much, but to me, it's the best thing in the world.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy this time now, though. I know we rushed through the time that was just us and suddenly we had kids and jobs and chaos all the time. Savor. All life is meant to be lived more slowly...and now that you know that's what you want, you can work to make sure you're ready financially. That's the step we never took, and it's what makes doing it now so much harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lindsey! :) No, I'm not trying to rush this stage of our lives, either...it's so lovely to be just us. I'm looking forward to the future, yes, and sometimes I wish it would come sooner, but this time is delightful too. Thank you for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I feel that same exact feeling of happiness and contentment (and excitement) when I think about my vocation as homemaker, and eventually mother. Some people just don't get it, but when you do, and you realize how significant this job is, it's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!