Monday, October 31, 2011

the weekend

We spent a LOT of time with friends this weekend, but it was such a good thing and so much fun!!  Friday night we hung out at Neutral Groundz (the college-kids-only coffeeshop that's open on weekend nights, which is also where Joshua and I met) with Ruth and Joe.  Saturday for lunch we had over another married couple, and then two girl friends of mine from school came Saturday night to watch Phantom of the Opera and Ruth and Joe joined us then, too.  Sunday we went to the Evangelical Free church and a friend who goes there came over for lunch, and then after work Sunday evening we went to Ruth and Joe's.  Yes, we were with them three days in a row.  Plus I worked out with Ruth this morning. :)

It's funny how much our social life has actually expanded since we got married.  This weekend was more of the exception than the rule--we normally aren't quite this social!  We both really enjoyed it, though.  I LOVE being a hostess.

In between all the company we managed to do two weeks' worth of laundry (which was so much easier now that we have our own car again!) and get the house really clean.  It's gotten a bit cluttered since last night but tomorrow we'll have time to get it in order again.

I've been learning quite a bit this weekend:  about communication, about marriage and relationships, about how couples and people in general relate to one another, about love and forgiveness and acceptance.  I've been learning that it's okay if we don't always see eye-to-eye on things; we can still love each other and be friends and get along.  I've learned once again that it's easy to hurt those closest to us, even unintentionally, but that there's forgiveness and reconciliation and through the love of God our relationships can be restored.

I've been reminded how much of a blessing it is to be a blessing, and the joy that comes from serving and caring for others.

I love the privilege we have of being able to share the gifts that God has given us.

And as today is Reformation Day, I'm thanking God for those people who He worked through in order that His Gospel might be clearly proclaimed, preached, taught and practiced.  I'm also thankful for Martin Luther and the work he did within the Christian church.  (I'm glad I'm Lutheran! :) )

This week I have wedding thank-you notes to finish (no, they're not done yet; yes, I'm a horrible person) and a big history test to study for.  So blogging might not happen for a few days.  But every day God pours out his blessings, every day I have so much to be thankful for, every day I get to serve and love and glorify Him.

1 comment:

  1. Happy All Saints' Day!
    What a perfect day to celebrate and thank God for His saints we call friends...How wonderful to know that nothing - time, distance, or even the grave - can separate us from our friends who claim Jesus as Lord and Savior!
    Hope your Groom is helping you with those thank you's ... :-)

    I thank God for the Blessing I have in you, my precious Jaimie!

    I love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!