I've learned a lot in 2.2 decades. Most of these lessons have been things I've come to understand fairly recently, but they're all a result of experiences throughout my life. I thought it might be fun (and a bit of a challenge) to come up with twenty-two worthwhile things I've learned about life, relationships, and myself. Can you relate with any of these? It can't be just me!
1) Don't make snap judgments about people. Some people you might not like much at first but later you'll become friends, and some people who seem cool when you meet them really aren't.
2) Never hold a grudge. It's not healthy for you and it doesn't affect the other person much anyway.
3) Learn to laugh at yourself. You do goofy things, and you'll be happier if you can see the humor in those things.
4) Avoid assuming (although do try to assume the best about your spouse as much as possible). We all know what happens when you ASSUME. Yeah.
5) Learn to not take things so personally. Not everything is about you!
6) Appreciate when people listen to you, and learn to listen to others. They have a lot to teach you.
7) Learn to forgive yourself. Guilt is not a burden you need to bear; Jesus destroyed it on the cross.
8) Try new things. You might find you like some things you swore you never would (like country music!).
9) Dance at every wedding. It's a win-win: you get to flirt with your husband, and show off your sweet swing-dancing skills.
10) Don't be afraid of what people think about you. The opinions of most people don't matter, and you're defined by being a child of God, not by other people's opinions.
11) Embrace opportunities to make new friends. Cultivate those relationships while you have the opportunity (before you move or they graduate from college).
12) It's okay to have several "best friends."
13) Get to know people of a variety of ages: your age, younger than you, and older--sometimes much older--than you. Children bring so much joy to life, and you can learn a lot from older people.
14) Always lick the spoon.
15) Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. Everyone makes from them. Take note of the lesson you've learned and move on.
16) It's okay to cry and not know why.
17) You'll always need your mom.
18) Face your fears. That's the easiest way to conquer them.
19) On second thought, just don't be afraid. Fear is of the Enemy. You are a child of God and the Holy Spirit lives in your heart; you have no reason to fear anything!
20) Judge sin, not people. You don't want to turn into a Pharisee; you just want to be like Jesus.
21) Don't focus on the future; instead, have an eternal mindset. What's going to matter after this life is over?
22) Leave the worrying about everything to God. Worrying does no good, and only steals joy, contentment and happiness. There is always something to be thankful for; focus on that instead of whatever is worrying you.
What are some of the most important/useful/funny life lessons you have learned? Share in the comments!