Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Greatest Desire

If you could do anything, be anything, what would it be?
If you could have one wish granted...what would you wish for?

Would you want to be a doctor?  An actor?  An artist?  The president of a Fortune-500 company?
A missionary?  Teacher?  Pastor?
All these are worthy callings.
But none of them (well, except missionary) have ever appealed to me.

I'll let you in on a secret--which you might already know about, if you've been here with me for a while.

The two things I've always wanted to be are a wife and mother.


There.  I said it.  If I could wish for anything, it would be to spend the rest of my life as a wife and mother.
Wife, check.
Mother...someday. :)

When I tell people this, I often get funny looks.  And questions like, "So why are you in college?"  (For the answer to that, read THIS POST.)  I'm at a small Christian university that, until just about fifteen or twenty years ago, was actually called a "Teachers' College."  And I'm not in the education program.  That puts me in a minority.

When I fill out applications for jobs and there are questions like, "What are your future goals?" or "How is this job preparation for your future career?" I shake my head and smile.  Because what I write is not what most people expect.

Since the 1970's, when feminism became popular and its influence filled nearly every household in America, it has been unusual and even strange for women to want to be full-time wives, mothers and homemakers.  For many women, it is absolutely necessary for their family's financial well-being that they work outside the home.  I'm sure there are many women in the workforce who wish they could stay home with their children.

But the fact that I have a choice, and I choose to stay home, is not nearly as common now as it used to be.

I'm blessed to have a husband who plans on helping me fulfill this dream.  On his (future teacher's) salary, we'll never have a lot of money, but we will never be wanting.  He supports me completely in my desire to be a full-time mother and homemaker.

I know that the profession of "homemaker" will not make me a lot of money.  It won't earn me much recognition in society.  My promotions--from mother of an infant, to a toddler, to a child, to a teen--won't increase my salary.  Learning new skills and perfecting the ones I have won't earn me a "Homemaker of the Month" plaque.

But love and appreciation from my husband and (future) children will be worth far more than that.  When I can look back on a life spent serving my family and those around me by being a godly wife, mother and homemaker, my greatest wish will have come true.

I don't have high aspirations or career goals according to the standards of society.  But when God created Eve he made her to be a helpmeet to her husband, to take care of the home in which God had placed them, and to be a loving mother to her children.  I like to think that God has given me the same jobs he gave the very first woman.  To fulfill them to the best of my ability, with his help and forgiveness, is my "dream job."

What about you?  To what vocation has God called you?







Growing Home







Photobucket


 

4 comments:

  1. I am so amazingly blessed to call you my daughter. You are a cherished, precious gift of God. I love you, Jaimie Elise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat post! I love hearing about your heart to serve God through your calling as wife and future mom. Both are so noble, so worthy, so eternally valuable.

    Love your blog and fun to "meet" you :)

    Carly @ ryandcar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post jamie... possibly one of my favorites of yours. it's so true that this seems like such a crazy, unattainable goal in this day and age... but i love what you say in your second to last paragraph... the rewards of being a wife and mother will far surpass the worldly rewards of high-paying jobs and statuses. thanks for sharing.
    ps... and we should definitely meet in real life one day... maybe get a tan together somewhere... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you all so much. Julia, you nearly made me cry. It's so nice to know that there are really quite a few of us out there who have the same dreams and goals! :)

    Mom...thanks for the phone call this morning. :) <3 I'm proud to be your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!