Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Precious in His Sight

We all have our prejudices.
I needn't list all mine, but there are those people who, when I see them in the grocery store or at school or wherever, I feel a disapproving look on my face and I start judging them in my thoughts.  "She's really in public wearing that?"  "Wow, he seriously needs to lose some weight."  "She's pregnant and there's no wedding ring on her finger..."

Some of the time I catch myself doing this.  That's when I remind myself of a few things:
-I am not perfect.  There are plenty of reasons for other people to judge me, one of them being my tendency to (at least mentally, if not verbally) put other people down in order to build myself up.
-I am a child of God.  That's no way for me to act or think or speak.
-Most importantly, Christ died for that person too.

Have you ever stopped to think about that?
The people who, when we see them, make us look down our noses in disapproval.
the people who should have it all together.
the lady at the grocery store who can't control her children.
the kid at the gas station with tattoos and piercings all over.
fill in the blank.  The person you just can't stand to be around.

Jesus died for them.
Jesus loves them.
He loves them just as much as he loves you--as he loves me!
We need his forgiveness as much as they do.

Jesus wants them to spend eternity with him, just like he wants us to spend eternity with him.

There are days when I look down upon myself.  When I know I haven't done everything right.  When I feel like I can't do anything right:  I've scolded and nagged my husband, I messed up dinner, I spent way too much time putzing on the computer instead of getting things done, I was crabby when my husband came home, I spent too much money at the store... that's the kind of day when I think about myself,
"You should have it all together."
"Who would want to hang out with you today?"
"Your husband could have chosen a better woman for his wife."
"Man, girl, what is your problem?!?"

On those days I need to remember...
Jesus died for me.
He loves me, with all my mistakes, just as much as he loves the women who seem to have it all together.
Nothing I do or don't do will make him love me any less.
He has given me his full and complete forgiveness, as well as the promise of eternal life, through his death on the cross and his resurrection.
He will give me a new chance, a fresh start, every single day.

So...when you feel those prejudices start to creep up...
when you start to look down on yourself for not measuring up to your (or anyone's) expectations,
just remember this:

Jesus died for everyone.
He rose for everyone.
He loves--everyone!
He wants every single person who has ever lived to spend ETERNITY--in heaven--with HIM.

We are all precious in his sight.

Our Simple Farm


3 comments:

  1. Love this post Jaimie! Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by to thank you again for the kind words you often leave on my blog. You are a sweetheart and this post is a wonderful reminder to us all.
    We need to remember when we look at and quickly judge others that we don't know their stories... I try to keep that in mind. The mama with the unruly kids may have a husband in chemo. The pregnant woman with no wedding ring may have swollen fingers and can't wear it... or her husband decided to up and leave her because he can't handle the idea of becoming a dad... so many stories we don't know.
    Beautiful words you've posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jami: thank you! :)
    Amy: of course. and thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!