Friday, January 13, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Awake

Linking up for the first time with The Gypsy Mama.
Five Minute Fridays begin with a given topic (today it's "awake") and the instructions to write, for five minutes only, on whatever that topic inspires.

I didn't want to be awake this morning.  The alarm went of at 8:30, late for many people, I know, but we had stayed up a little late last night and I wanted more sleep.  The bed was warm, the sheets were soft, my husband was still asleep beside me.
But I got up, eventually, with his encouragement once he woke up.  I do every day, whether I like it or not.  Whether I want to or not.  There's always something to do, somewhere to go, someone to meet.
I spend most of my life awake.  But am I really alert?  Am I really paying attention to what's going on around me?
Some days I just go through the motions, just do what needs to be done.  I want to do more than that.  I want to be more than awake: I want to be alive, to be energized, to be eager for every new day, to look for ways to serve others and be productive with my time.  I want to see God in everything.  I want to embrace every opportunity to do good that He places before me.  God has given me this life for a reason: I want to make the most of it.  "So as you have opportunity, do good to everyone, but especially those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:10, my paraphrase.)
I want to live life more than awake.  I want to live it alive!





6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to live life like you're alive!! We nearly had an identical sentence in ours, "I just do what needs to be done." I'm praying to thrive myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your longing to live "alive" is so encouraging. I know we all have those days of just going through the motions, but alive is so much better. Your thoughts reminded me of Philippians 3:14: "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Keep on pressing on my friend and thank you for this beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you, thank you so much! Stacy, YES!! Thank you for the encouragement--and you're welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jamie,

    You expressed some of what I've been feeling lately. I've been wanting to be awake, aware and alert to the Lord. Expecting to see Him in my every day ordinary life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you for commenting! I think many of us feel that way...which means it's a common thing within the family of believers. I just wish I knew what I/we could do about it.

      Something I've been learning lately, though, is that God IS visible everywhere in my everyday life: in the sun shining through the clouds, in the encouraging words of a friend, in my husband's helpfulness and kindness, and in so many other people and places. He's there. Just look. :)

      Delete
  5. oh your first time playing? I love that - welcome! And your alarm and mine could be friends - I would stay in bed all day if I could.....

    ~Lisa-Jo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!