Tuesday, July 9, 2013

a witness, right where I am.

On Sunday we heard two missionaries speak--a young couple who graduated from the same college my husband and I attend.  They're leaving soon to spend two years in China, but they were talking about how the main mission field for any person is their own home--their neighborhood--their town.

Each of us has been called to live our faith--to be a witness for Christ-- right where we are, no matter where that is.

I've heard this before, of course, but I've been thinking more about it today.  In my semi-isolated life--mostly surrounded by fellow Christians- how do I live this out?

I simply live as a Christian. The Holy Spirit lives in me, so he is working in my life and in the lives of those I see every day, even if I'm not specifically "preaching." I am called to live a life obedient to Christ--a life that reflects the love that he has for me.

How does this play out practically in my life? Well, because the Holy Spirit lives in my heart, I have the ability--by his grace--to exhibit the "fruits of the Spirit" in my life: love. joy. peace. patience. kindness. goodness. faithfulness. gentleness. self-control.

In producing these fruits, I live my faith, I witness Christ in my life. Those qualities are only produced by a person transformed by the love and grace of Christ--a person whose faith rests in Christ alone. Without Christ, any good thing I would do would be worthless. Because I am his child, I am a tool in his hands to bless the lives of those around me.

I can encourage others. I can contribute joy to their lives. I can be kind and patient to the person who frustrates or annoys me. I can use my time well, exhibiting self-control in my actions. I can cultivate a gentle, quiet, peaceful spirit...

all thanks to the Holy Spirit's power in my life.


How do you live your faith, right where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!