Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Loving Him in Little Ways



"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family..."
Proverbs 31:15

I've never considered myself a morning person.  I used to get up early when I was little, but that was because I went to bed so early then.  Since starting college, sleep has become both more precious and more disposable than ever before.  Staying up late to finish projects and papers, and to hang out with friends and my man, has become the norm, but during the school year, I avoid getting up early if I can help it.  I like sleeping, and if at all possible I like sleeping late.

That became rare last summer...and then again this summer.  Joshua's summer job requires him to be at work at seven a.m.  We don't have a car, so he bikes/walks the mile to work.  We don't buy cold cereal very often, so breakfast takes longer than five minutes to get on the table.  And I always make us breakfast.  I always get up with him--sometimes before him--to get him fed so he has energy for his day.  Then we have devotions and a prayer together before he leaves.

I get up at 5:40 most days this summer.

For a lot of people, I know that's typical, or even late.  But for a girl who shuddered at the thought of getting up before 7 am until just recently, this is really early, and a huge change.

I started breakfast this morning by just the pre-dawn light coming in the kitchen window.  It was cool from the breeze coming in the open window; birds and crickets were chirping outside, and the sky was clear and gray-blue.  It wasn't quite light yet.  That verse from Proverbs came to mind: "She gets up while it is still dark..."

Joshua expressed to me the other day that he really appreciates the fact that I get up early with him.  "You don't have to, you know," he said.  "But I like it," I replied.  I've actually come to enjoy and appreciate these early mornings.

Getting up early...making a filling, healthful breakfast...these are two little things I do to love my husband.

I'm learning that it's the little things that make the biggest difference.  Getting up early was a big deal at first, but now it's routine, and it's a precious routine.

Some other little things I try to often do for Joshua are...
take him his lunch at work each day, and spend his lunch hour with him.
tidy myself up (brush teeth and hair, put on perfume and lipstick) before he comes home from work
let him rest while I make supper
make foods he really likes fairly often

None of these is very difficult.  None of them takes much effort.  But they mean a lot to my husband.

What else can wives do to love their husbands--little things that make a big difference?
Possibilities...

-invest in some new lingerie.  Men are visually stimulated and most husbands would be thrilled to see their wives in something flirty and sexy.
-spend a little time learning about his interests.  One thing I could and should do is learn more about football and sports in general, and really listen when Joshua talks about things that he gets excited about.
-rent one of HIS favorite movies for a surprise.
-learn more about his sexual needs and desires and how to fulfill them.
-spend time doing their favorite things with them.  If he likes disc-golfing, give it a try.  If video games are his thing, learn to use the controller.  (Preaching to myself here.)  If he likes cooking and you don't, watch some YouTube videos or the Food Network to learn some new skills.  You might just find that you like the things he does.

Again...doing one or two of these things won't take much time or effort, but the results could be huge.
I'm not guaranteeing anything.  I have a lot to work on myself, lots of ways I know I could love my husband better.  We're all growing and becoming the people God has created us to be.  I'm thankful that we live under his grace and that he doesn't leave us to learn and grow on our own, but he shapes us and helps us in everything.

I have a few ways in mind that I'm going to love on my husband in the next week...what about you?
(And husbands, if you're reading, what are little ways we wives could show love and support for our husbands?  My list is certainly not exhaustive!)


If you liked this post, consider subscribing or becoming a follower!

Linking with:











Growing Home
























Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. It's sweet you get up with him, that time is precious and will prepare you for a future of getting up and having a breather before mommy-duties. I confess, if the babies will let me, I'm often in the bed when my Joshua leaves, but the days I do get up, he loves. And he really loves it if I make breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and such an encouragement to us as we bless our husbands. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Heather @cultivatedlife

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its great that you get up with your husband. I know I should do that, but he requires a lot less sleep than I do to get through the day pleasantly, so I would be cut down to about 6 1/2 hours of sleep each night because we go to bed fairly late. I can't cope on that little sleep for very long. Plus my husband takes his time to get out of bed and showered, so by the time he is dressed he is rushing out the door and when I have gotten up and made him breakfast, he has to eat it in the car on the way to work. I wish I had your conviction to get up and be a good wife so early!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!