Sunday, January 15, 2012

Unexpected Blessings

Today's Joy Dare: "three ways you glimpsed the startling grace of God."
He doesn't always bless us in the ways we expect.  "Do this, God!" we cry.  "Give me good heath!  Give us good jobs!  Help us do this!  Make this work out!"
Do we really think that we determine how he blesses us?
How do we define "blessings"?  Are they always things we want?  Always things we expected we would get?  Always things we thought we needed?
Definitely not.  God blesses us in his own way, in the way he knows we need it.  He doesn't always give us what we want, or what we think we need.  And even when things seem to be going completely wrong--he works things out for good.  Sometimes we'll never see or hear about that good.  But it does happen.

Startling graces...
An unexpected expense recently came up...and God provided a way to cover it, one we don't have to pay back.  So surprising.  So much grace.

I experimented with a recipe this morning: orange-white-chocolate scones.  And they turned out so. good.

Breakfast and thrift-store-shopping this morning with beloved friends, Hubby told me to get whatever I wanted.  Three books and a t-shirt.  Unexpected little gifts.

I wrote a poem the other day, and realized after I'd written it that God had literally spoken to me through my own writing.  That was definitely a startling grace!

(yes...this is four...do I have to be limited to three? :) )

May you be blessed in startling ways--for all is grace.

4 comments:

  1. Your post makes me think of "Blessings" by Laura Story ... Our blessings don't always come as we expect ... YOU are one of God's most wonderful blessings in my life! I love you, Jaimie Elise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that song!! And you are one of MY greatest blessings. Thanks for calling today. :) <3

      Delete
  2. A lovely list of gifts. And those scones? I think I just drooled on my keyboard. Thankful you didn't provide a photo - or scratch and sniff scone aroma on here as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I'd post more pictures...but for the last few months my camera and computer haven't been playing together well. :( So I haven't been able to upload any, and I thus haven't been taking as many as I did. They were very pretty scones, however, and they did make the whole house smell amazing!! :D

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!