Monday, January 16, 2012

The Gift of Community

If I lived all alone, had no friends or family, and spoke to no more people than were necessary each day, God would still bless me incredibly.  He would give me a home, food, a way to support myself, and most importantly his Word and forgiveness and eternal life.

However, my life is SO much more full and complete with friends, family and spouse!  Besides being a blessing to me, having interactions with many people over the course of the day gives me opportunities to be a blessing to others.  God works through me to accomplish his purpose in the lives of many people besides me.

Today's Joy Dare (well, yesterday's actually) has to do with the blessings of interacting with other people:
"One thing you wore, one thing you gave away, one thing you shared."

I wore (am still wearing, in fact) a real pearl necklace that I got while I was in Hong Kong my freshman year of high school.  I haven't worn it in a while, and having it on brings back memories of the day I bought it, the people I was with, the other experiences I had that day, and the things God taught me on that trip.

I gave away time and energy at work, to help feed a LOT of college students (technically I got paid for that, but I think it counts!) and I gave time and energy at home to get the kitchen clean, food made, and bread baked for my husband and me.

I shared hugs.  Quite a few at church!  I thrive on hugs, and I have several friends who appreciate hugs as much as I do.  Giving and receiving hugs is comforting, reassuring, and joy-filling.

I appreciate being by myself as much as the next person--sometimes even as much as an introvert, even though I most certainly am extroverted!  However, I LOVE my family and friends, and I am so thankful that they are a huge part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!