Friday, December 23, 2011

From Last Christmas...

originally posted December 18, 2010.



I'm Growing Up...

Today, for the first time in a while, I put on an apron and wielded my mother's marble rolling pin and got all floury, making cut-out sugar cookies.  It was a delightful mother-daughter-time, both of us in the kitchen, chatting, laughing, baking, tasting.  Dad and sis helped with frosting the cookies later.

I've been helping with this Christmastime ritual every year for as long as I can remember.  A couple of things about this year made me realize that I'm not a little girl anymore, though.  My mom handed me a ribbon-tied bag with several cookie cutters in it, for me to use next year when I prepare for my first Christmas as a married woman.  Two of the cutters my mom bought for herself, but the rest of them were her grandmother's.  Being given these family heirlooms touched me deeply, and made me realize again that I am becoming a woman.  (Of course, the little-girl left in me came out this afternoon when I played the game Sardines-similar to hide-and-seek- with my sister and our neighbor friends.  :) )

I also don't mind doing dishes as much as I used to.  I have all these homemaking urges that are becoming very hard to resist.  Things like the Pampered Chef items my mom and some relatives got for me make me very excited.

My life is changing, and I'm changing, at an impressively rapid rate.  I'm very ready to become a wife and homemaker.  I can hardly wait to be married to my husband and live in a home of our own.

As we are changing and growing up, it's immensely comforting to realize and remember that God never changes.  He always stays the same.  His love, his forgiveness, his power, his grace, his wonder, they never change.  God is as wonderful as it is possible to get.  He has perfected perfection and he can't get any more perfect!

God is the same now as he was when I was born and he will be the same in fifty years.  For that matter, he is the same now as he was at Creation and he will still be the same at the Last Day.

So, despite all the changing and growing in my life- which are good things, natural and necessary- I can rely on God to stay steadfast and unchanging, loving and blessing me no matter what happens in my life.

Today, I am going to rely on the comfort of knowing that God will never change.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the memories, Jaimie. And now what fun you're having fun "doing Christmas" with your husband and friends! Have a wonderful day, celebrating God's amazing Love made flesh for us. See you in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!