Saturday, November 5, 2011

Good days and bad days

Yesterday was kind of a bad day.
I say "kind of" because most of the day was good; it was only a few things that weren't so nice.  Mostly it was my attitude throughout the day that wasn't nice.  In my defense, I think it was a combination of hormones and sleep deprivation (I konked out on the couch without even trying to take a nap, for an hour).  However, those things did not give me good reason or any right to snap at Joshua so much in the course of the day.

Now, of course, I feel horrible about it.  He did a couple things that irritated me but I blew it way out of proportion and was terribly unkind.  And bossy.  And bratty.  And all my least favorite things.

Good things happened yesterday, of course.  One of the pastors at the church we attend most often here gave us his and his wife's old mattress and box spring.  The bed is only ten years old and in SO much better shape than the one we'd been sleeping on (which came with the apartment).  At least we know who used this one before us.  We slept so well last night. :)

Also, yesterday evening Ruth and Joe spent a couple hours over here.  We snacked and played Scrabble and laughed hysterically.  It was a great night.

Today was an all-good day.  We slept in.  We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast (I made a double batch last night).  I made applesauce.  We watched two movies ("Lincoln Lawyer" and "Charade").  We had waffles for lunch, I used the waffle iron for the first time.  (Mom: I MUST get your recipe for waffle batter.  I miss it.)  We went to my grandparents' so I could do laundry and so we could rake their lawn.  We would have done it for free but Grandpa insisted on paying us.  (Keep my grandma in your prayers...she fell and hurt her back last week and is having surgery this week.)  Then we went to the VFW for a benefit dinner and were treated by some other friends, an older couple from church who have "adopted" us; the wife is actually in our Doctrine class. :)

Then we came home and watched Charade while I folded laundry.  And now it's time to put it away before bed.  Yay, bed--and hooray for turning back the clocks tonight!

I find it so reassuring to know that my husband loves me ALWAYS, even on those days when I'm mean and bratty to him.  He's not perfect either, of course, and there are days when he's not nice to me.  But we're always able to forgive each other.  I don't think we've once fallen asleep angry at each other.  What's even more amazing is how God continually loves and forgives us, on the good days and the bad.  Sometimes it's easy to forget how much he blesses us when we're so distracted with our own sinfulness (selfishness, discontent, laziness, etc).  But even on those days that don't go the way we wish they would, God blesses us so richly.  And sometimes, he even blesses us through those things that seem to be getting in our way.  They're never, after all, in God's way.  He works all things for our good, Paul tells us in Romans 8.  That's a promise I can cling to any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!